Wednesday, October 10, 2007

christian von wernich

"A court in Argentina has convicted a former Roman Catholic police chaplain of collaborating in murders during the country's military rule"

Christian Von Wernich was convicted for involvement in seven murders, 42 abductions and 31 cases of torture during the 1976-83 Dirty War. Apparently, Von Wernich has used his position to gain the trust of the prisoners, and then pass their information onto police torturers and killers in secret detention centers. He would then attend the torture sessions and free the police of blame because they were doing God's work.



I hope that video works. I know it's in another language, but I figured it would still be a neat thing to watch anyway.

I thought that this was an interesting story because it involved the Catholic church, which at times, seems to do no wrong. Although Christian Von Wernich represents the Catholic church, he doesn't represent the kinds of practices that the church carries out. The Catholic church in Argentina, on the other hand, I hope will come under fire for its lack of opinion on the case (which in my opinion, proves how guilty it is).

No comments: