Thursday, October 11, 2007

Attempting Peace

Muslim Scholars Reach out to Pope

I may not be the most updated scholar on Islamic and Christian debates, but I still have a general idea. In my opinion, a lot of tension between Islam and Christianity has to do with the misconception and misunderstanding of the world of Islam. From what I've seen, the west knows very little about the religion of Islam and its ideals, and therefore misconceives it. It replaces what it doesn't know about the religion with assumptions and links it to terrorism. Nevertheless, within recent years, Islam has been attacked as the religion that backs terrorism (even the Pope seems to think so). However I personally feel that there is a certain type of Islam that supports the use of violence, and thats Islamist Extremism. But, the media fails to distinguish that specific difference, which causes the general population to blame the entire religion of Islam for terrorism and violence. And that causes the assumptions which people take for general truth.

In the long run, I'm excited to see that Muslims are working toward peace between Christianity and Islam. I think it's a very foward idea and vision, that hopefully I will get to see the benefits of.

No comments: