Sunday, October 21, 2007

Gay Marriage


In the recent GOP debate, Rudy Giuliani claimed that he would support a Constitutional amendment if states began to legalize it.

When I read this, I won't lie, I did get a little angry. I'm tired of hearing about Gay marriage. There are so many more pressing issues that effect America's safety and health, as well as foreign policy questions that need to be answered (IRAQ!). In my opinion, America was based on the singular infamous idea that all men are created equal. That here in America we do not discriminate. It is an American value and moral that so many other nations are trying to model and uphold as well. So to think that a politician, and could be America's next president, would support a Constitutional Amendment banning Gay marriage is contradictory and hypocritical of the founding idea that America was built on. Regardless of what the Bible or religion believe, America is built on freedom, and is therefore required to uphold those ideals. I also think that there is a societal issue here at hand. Society is focusing on an institution so minute compared to other more significant issues. What about health care and immigration? What about the war in Iraq? What about Iran's nukes? What ever happened to Israel/ Palestine? Kashmir? Darfur?

I guess the point I'm trying to establish is that, although I know the American public wants to know the stance of politicians on Gay marriage, I think we should focusing more on health care and immigration, and future steps regarding Iraq.

No comments: